Lemon, like its close relative, the orange, is not a unique plant species. It is a hybrid of other citrus species that originated in India and China and is known to a large number of civilizations as a separate variety of fruit trees. To date, scientists cannot figure out exactly which fruits became the ancestors of this citrus, but they have well studied the benefits and harms of lemon.
It is the beneficial properties of the lemon tree that have played a huge role in the fact that today this fruit is so famous in most countries of the world. Our body needs such products, but you need to know when to use them, not forgetting that if taken unwisely, they can have a negative effect on the human body.
Benefits of lemon
What are the beneficial properties of lemon? Yes, in almost everything, from the peel, the so-called lemon peel, and ending with lemon juice, which contains an abundance of biologically useful, active substances.
- Enhances the effectiveness of the treatment of colds. Whenever we are exposed to a cold, we remember this citrus. But lemon is useful not only during illness, because it is a no less effective remedy for the prevention of colds and flu, especially in winter. For this purpose, it is recommended to take the fruit on its own fresh or add it to warm tea, since, with this drink, the body receives a much larger amount of vitamins A and C, which strengthen the immune system and activate reserve resources to accelerate the treatment of the disease. In addition, lemon has a diaphoretic effect, so it is recommended to use it to lower the temperature;
- It has an anti-purulent, anti-inflammatory and disinfectant effect in the early stages of angina. If you notice the first signs of this unpleasant disease, it is recommended to eat citrus or gargle with citrus juice. You can also slowly chew the zest of raw lemon and after this procedure does not eat or drink anything for another hour. During this period, citric acid and essential oils interact with the inflamed mucous membranes of the throat. This procedure should be carried out every 3 hours;
- Contains high amounts of iron and potassium. Iron is known to increase the number of red blood cells, and potassium in turn has a positive effect on blood vessels by strengthening their walls. As a result, these micronutrients make lemon an effective product for maintaining normal blood pressure and improving heart muscle function. Vitamin P also helps lemon in this;
- Eliminates digestive problems. The abundance of fiber characterizes the beneficial properties of lemon for its ability to relieve a person from regular constipation and improve appetite due to the penetration of citric acid into the digestive tract. Lemon stimulates the production of enzymes and digestive juices in the gastric mucosa, and this helps to improve the absorption of iron and calcium by the body from food. This fruit also supports the full functioning of the liver, activates the production of its enzymes, and liquefies bile;
- Lemon is a powerful antioxidant. Due to the high content of ascorbic acid, the use of lemon not only strengthens the immune system and increases the protective functions of the body, but also helps to eliminate damaging free radicals, slows down the aging process, prevents the development of cancer, saturates the body with energy, breaks down harmful cholesterol and quickly removes its excess from the body;
- It has a positive effect on the condition of the skin and hair. It is difficult to overestimate the benefits of lemon, namely its essential oil, for acne, freckles, sunburn and other damage to the skin. As you know, the components that make up lemon are able to save a person even after being bitten by a scorpion. Lemon juice can be used for cosmetic purposes to give the skin a natural color, whiten it, anti-aging effect, prevent wrinkles, and treat age spots. It is also used for fungal skin lesions. Lemon peel is effective for rubbing corns. Shampoos, which include lemon juice, strengthen hair and accelerate its growth;
- It has an analgesic effect. For headaches, lemon peel, free of white matter, can be applied with the wet side to the temple. This will cause a red spot that itches and bakes, but the pain symptoms will go away very soon. Lemon also helps to relieve stomach colic;
- Relieves convulsive seizures. In case of leg cramps, you can spread the soles of the soles in the morning and before bedtime with the juice of fresh lemon, without wiping off the juice. After two weeks, you will forget about cramps;
- The fruit has a powerful antiseptic effect. Thanks to this, lemon juice is effectively used for the prevention and treatment of urolithiasis, fever, atherosclerosis and hemorrhoids;
- Improves the functioning of the nervous system. Thanks to vitamin B and potassium, regular consumption of lemon fruit helps to strengthen sleep and the nervous system, relieving a person of stress and depression. Scientists have shown that the scent of lemon oil improves mood;
- Calcium, of which citrus is composed, strengthens bones, nails and teeth. And in combination with magnesium, this component improves the quality of blood, dilutes and purifies it, participates in the formation of albumin;
- The anti-toxic and cleansing properties of lemon are known. The use of the fruits of this citrus helps to eliminate toxic substances, toxins and uric acid from the body, an excessive amount of which is fraught with damage to internal organs and tissues;
- The potassium in lemon is beneficial for maintaining normal brain function;
- Citric acid reduces the acidity of gastric juice and dissolves kidney stones, removing them with toxic substances and toxins;
- Vitamin A allows the use of lemon to maintain vision;
- The beneficial properties of the fruit are also manifested in the prevention and reduction of symptoms:
- Diabetes mellitus;
We think these benefits were enough to persuade you to drink some fresh lemon water. Do not worry. You do not have to go anywhere else. Just press the buy button below and enjoy the freshness of lemon water.
- Water with a touch of true fruit flavor: Our unique fruit essences create surprisingly accurate...
- 12 bottles of Lemon Hint Flavored Water: Purified, unsweetened, fruit-infused water that tastes...
- Zero sugar, zero diet sweeteners, zero calories: Hint contains no sugar, no diet sweeteners,...
- Hint helps people fall in love with water: Most people know that they should be drinking more...
- Better hydration, better health: Staying hydrated can improve your mood, complexion, and muscle...
Check Out: All you need to know about Lemon Myrtle
Side effects of lemon
Like other citrus fruits, lemon has a number of contraindications for use.
- Citric acid irritates the mucous membranes of the stomach and intestines . For a healthy person, this property of lemon can be dangerous only when overeating fruit, but for people suffering from gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, chronic gastritis, enteritis, acute nephritis, colitis, hepatitis, pancreatitis and cholecystitis, the intake of citrus should be strictly limited, so how it can cause heartburn, pain and cramps;
- Damages tooth enamel . Although lemon strengthens teeth due to its calcium content, stops bleeding gums, helps to remove plaque and whiten teeth, dentists recommend brushing your teeth after eating the fetus, since the juice of this citrus fruit negatively affects the state of tooth enamel;
- Irritates wounds and aggravates severe inflammation . This fruit has an anti-inflammatory effect, but only in the initial stages of inflammatory processes. If the inflammation is already too strong, then the lemon will only intensify irritation, exacerbate pain and bleeding of wounds, and prolong the process of their healing;
- Prohibited for use by patients with pancreatitis . Despite the fact that the use of citrus fruit stimulates the cleansing of the liver, it is contraindicated in the period of inflammatory processes of the pancreas;
- May cause allergic reactions . Excessive consumption of lemon leads to allergies because it is a powerful allergen. Also, side effects can be manifested by skin irritation in people with individual intolerance to the components of this product;
- Overeating lemons raises blood pressure . In this regard, the intake of this fruit should be approached with extreme caution in case of hypertension;
- Also, lemon is contraindicated in children under three years old, pregnant and breastfeeding mothers.
One way or another, the benefits of lemon for the human body are quite significant, therefore, if you use this product in moderation, you will receive only positive properties from it. The harm from lemon is manifested mainly only when it is overeating, so the competent intake of this fruit makes it absolutely safe.