What is Green Technology
Today let us know about Green Technology. Let us see what is green technology and what are the benefits of green technology. Some examples of green technology and some ideas of it will also be covered.
The technology which builds products and systems to help in conserving natural resources and the environment is known as green technology.
It is technology which is environment friendly and hence known as environmental technology or clean technology. It uses innovative methods to create environmentally friendly products.
The need of green technology arises due to the fact that natural resources are declining and pollution has increased due to abundant use of non-renewable sources.
Characteristics of Green Technology
After we discuss the What is Green Technology, now we explain the characteristics or features of green technology. Products, systems or equipment based on green technology satisfy following features or characteristics.
- It should reduce or minimize degradation of the natural environment around us.
- It should have zero or minimum emission of greenhouse gases.
- It should be safe to use and should promote a healthy environment for all forms of life including humans, birds, animals etc.
- It should help in conservation of energy as well as natural resources such as solar, water, wind etc.
- It should promote use of renewable resources.
According to the classification of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), “green technologies” cover the following areas:
- general environmental management (waste management, water and air pollution control, land restoration);
- production of energy from renewable sources (solar energy, biofuels, etc.), mitigating the effects of climate change, reducing harmful emissions into the atmosphere, increasing the efficiency of fuel use, as well as the energy efficiency of buildings and household appliances.
If we expand this concise formula, we get that “green technologies” essentially cover all areas of human activity and are aimed at:
- sustainable development of modern society for the benefit of future generations with the solution of global problems: prevention of resource depletion, establishment of rational use of natural resources, improvement of demography, elimination of production toxicity;
- production of non-toxic products in a closed cycle: production – disposal – new production (from birth to birth – “cradle to cradle”, instead of the current “grave to grave” – from grave to grave);
- maximum, up to zero, waste reduction due to innovations in technologies and in the structure of consumption;
- fundamental modification of harmful industries and replacing them with harmless ones using natural technologies created by nature over millions of years;
- replacement of non-renewable natural resources with alternative renewable sources of raw materials and energy;
- elimination of the use of harmful synthetic chemicals in agriculture, the introduction of biotechnology in agriculture, animal husbandry and processing of agricultural products.
Currently, “green technologies” are being introduced into the entire chain of companies’ activities, including, in addition to production, consumption, management and methods of organizing production, in the name of solving global tasks for the sustainable development of modern and future society, namely:
- modification and replacement of hazardous industries;
- development of new alternative types of energy and new types of fuel;
- search for new approaches to safe and affordable food and water;
- protection against pollution of the atmosphere, soil, fresh water and the world’s oceans;
- reasonable regulation of demography. You Can Check Also Microsoft way to green earth
Applications of Green Technology
The major applications of green technology include following –
- Energy sector
- Building sector
- Water and waste management sector
- Transport sector
- Solar power sector
Benefits or advantages of Green Technology
Following are the advantages of Green Technology:
- It does not emit anything harmful for the environment.
- It has become popular as consumers of the technology are becoming more environment conscious. This will give benefits to investors at long run in certain areas.
- It requires less cost for maintenance. This reduces operating cost and hence overall cost on the long run.
- As it uses renewable natural resources and hence we will never run out of vital resources such as water and electricity.
- It will slow down effects of global warming due to reduction in CO2 emissions.
Disadvantages of Green Technology
Following are the disadvantages of Green Technology:
- Initial investment or implementation cost is very high.
- People are still not familiar with the technology and hence will take time to adopt it for larger population.
- The technology is still evolving and many of the products are at R&D stage. Hence people are unaware of performance results.
- Lack of skilled human resources are available to install or implement the green technology-based products or systems.
- In most of the countries policies have not been finalized for the green technology-based systems.
Jobs in Green Technology
There are many jobs available in this growing field, especially for those who are passionate about conserving the environment. Career opportunities are opening in the following areas of expertise:
- Environmental Engineers
- Environmental Scientist
- Industrial Engineers
- Plumbers, Electricians and Carpenters
If you like this article about What is Green Technology, so please like, comment and share this post which is about What is Green Technology.